Multifamily Renovation & New Construction
Get technical and design support, cash incentives, and free products to make your multifamily property more energy efficient.
If you’re building new or renovating an existing rental property, we offer one-on-one technical support to design an energy-efficient, comfortable, safe building with lower operating costs. We also offer rebates on appliances, HVAC systems, lighting, air sealing, and insulation. And even if you’re not making major changes, you can get free light bulbs, water-saving devices, and more.
- One-on-one tech support for multifamily construction and renovation projects
- Reduced energy costs for you, lower utility bills to attract and retain residents
- Free energy-efficient products for your existing rental property
How to Get Started
Call us to talk about your new multifamily construction or gut rehab project—and get us involved early. An energy consultant will work with you from start to finish to inform the design, recommend energy-efficient approaches, and determine your financial incentive.
- Multifamily buildings being newly constructed or substantially renovated must have five or more units
- For owners and developers of multifamily properties located in Vermont
- If you are a contractor, learn more about qualifying specifications and incentives
For substantial renovations of existing buildings, our energy consultants can provide access to incentives for replacing appliances, lighting, heating and cooling systems, and thermal shell improvements.
Products and Services for Property Owners
All existing rental properties qualify for appliance, weatherization, and heating and ventilation system rebates, as well as free energy-efficient products like LEDs, low-flow shower heads, and faucet aerators. Investing in efficient lighting, appliances, and equipment helps keep tenants satisfied with low fuel and electric bills, while ventilation systems help guard against mildew and mold issues. And low-flow shower heads and faucet aerators can save an average of $140 per year for a four-unit rental property.
- Keep tenants happier and healthier with lower utility bills and well-ventilated spaces
- Reduce your property’s water and electric usage with free products shipped directly to you
- Get rebates when you replace appliances, weatherize, or update heating and ventilation systems
Income-Based Multifamily Renovation
For large multifamily properties with at least 50% occupancy by income-qualified renters, Efficiency Vermont contracts with 3E Thermal to project manage efficiency upgrades. 3E Thermal will conduct an audit, develop a scope of work, and coordinate with contractors and your local weatherization agency. Services can include air sealing, insulation, and installation of energy-saving equipment and products.
- Increased support for multifamily rental properties where at least 50% of the occupants are income-qualified
- Coordination with weatherization agencies, HVAC, and biomass systems contractors
- For weatherization services for market-rate multifamily rental properties, see our Building Performance incentives