Multifamily Renovation & New Construction
Get technical and design support, cash incentives, and free products to make your multifamily property more energy efficient.
If you’re building new or gutting an existing property, we offer one-on-one technical support to design an energy-efficient, comfortable, safe building with lower operating costs. We also offer rebates on appliances, HVAC systems, lighting, air sealing, and insulation. And even if you’re not renovating your property, you can get free light bulbs, water-saving devices, and more.
- One-on-one tech support for multifamily construction and renovation projects
- Reduced energy costs for you, lower utility bills to attract and retain residents
- Free energy-efficient products for your existing rental property
How to Get Started
Call us to talk about your new multifamily construction or gut rehab project—and get us involved early. An energy consultant will work with you from start to finish to inform the design, recommend energy-efficient approaches, and provide you with financial incentives.
- Multifamily buildings being newly constructed or substantially renovated must have five or more units
- For owners and developers of multifamily properties located in Vermont
- If you are a contractor, learn more about qualifying specifications and incentives
For substantial renovations of existing buildings, our energy consultants can provide access to incentives for replacing appliances, lighting, heating and cooling systems, and thermal shell improvements.
Products and Services for Landlords
All existing rental properties qualify for appliance and heating and ventilation system rebates, as well as free energy-efficient products including LEDs, low-flow shower heads, and faucet aerators. Investing in efficient lighting, appliances, and equipment helps keep tenants satisfied with low gas and electric bills, while ventilation systems help guard against mildew and mold issues. And low-flow shower heads and faucet aerators can save more than $140 per year for an average four-unit rental property.
- Keep tenants happier and healthier with lower utility bills and well-ventilated spaces
- Reduce your property’s water consumption with free water conservation devices
- Get free products shipped directly to you: learn more
Income-Based Multifamily Renovation
We contract with 3E Thermal to deliver incentives and manage efficiency upgrades for multifamily properties with at least 50% occupancy by renters with limited incomes. 3E Thermal conducts an audit, develops a scope of work, and coordinates with contractors and your local weatherization agency. Services can include air sealing, insulation, and installation of energy-saving equipment and products.
- Services for multifamily properties with at least 50% limited-income renters
- Coordination with weatherization agencies, HVAC, and biomass systems contractors
- For weatherization services for market-rate multifamily rental properties, see our Building Performance incentives