COVID-19 Update: Read messageHide message »
To protect the health of our staff and our customers, Efficiency Vermont offices are closed to the public. In the meantime, our customer support team is available to help you remotely. Contact us at (888) 921-5990 or email@example.com.
We have cautiously begun scheduling project related site visits when required. You can find more information on our safety protocols here.
Smart Water Heating
Track usage patterns to heat water when you need it, and save energy when you don’t.
While most smart technology requires you to replace old equipment, standard water heaters are an excellent candidate for retrofit. Both new and used systems help prevent energy waste by learning occupant behavior patterns and predicting usage accordingly. The poster child of utility time-of-use programs, smart water heaters also allow occupants and utilities to remotely schedule usage for off-peak hours, to save on grid costs and carbon emissions.
Many newer hot water heaters already incorporate smart technology. These systems prevent unnecessary water heating and energy waste, through remote monitoring and control of usage. Over time, smart water heaters learn household behavior patterns to predict when hot water will be needed. When it’s not, the tanks shut off and allow water temperature to “drift” within a specified range.
- Remotely monitor and control usage
- Heat water only when needed, based on household use patterns
- Many newer models already use smart technology (rebates are currently available)
Standard hot water heaters, as well as heat pump water heaters, can be retrofitted with a smart control to take advantage of the benefits associated with new models. The smart control is installed directly on the unit and consists of a controller and temperature sensor.
- Retrofit your existing system by installing a smart control directly on the unit
- Suitable for electric and natural gas units with digital valves, as well as heat pump water heaters
- According to ACEEE, the payback on a retrofitted system is one to three years