LEDs: A bright new way to save energy & money
Be the brightest business on the block by upgrading to LEDs!
How much can you save? In select applications, such as spot or track lighting, LEDs can offer energy savings of:
- Up to 80% compared to incandescent lighting,
- More than 50% compared to fluorescent or high-intensity discharge (HID).
We are here to help:
Efficiency Vermont offers technical assistance, rebates and discounted bulbs from participating distributors to help your business make cost-effective lighting upgrades. We can work with you—over the phone or through email—to assess and prioritize opportunities, identify contractors, review quotes, and help pay for energy efficiency upgrades through rebates and special financing.
Get started today
What are LEDs?
Light-emitting diode (LED) lighting produces light in a whole new way. LEDs are small light sources that become illuminated by the movement of electrons through a semiconductor, more akin to computer chips than to light bulbs.
LEDs are very different from other lighting sources such as incandescent and fluorescent.
Beyond the obvious change in shape and function, LEDs have other important differences from traditional lighting technologies, including:
- Lifespan: LED products have the potential to last two to three times longer compared to fluorescent or HID lighting, and 10 times longer compared to incandescent.
- Direction: LEDs emit light in a specific direction, reducing the need for reflectors and diffusers that can trap light. This feature makes LEDs more efficient for many uses such as recessed downlights and task lighting.
- Heat: LEDs emit very little heat. In comparison, incandescent bulbs release 90% of their energy as heat and CFLs release about 80% of their energy as heat.
Emphasis on quality lighting
With so many new LED lamps and fixtures coming to market, how do you know if you are buying a good quality product?
Efficiency Vermont makes it easy for you to know you are choosing LED products that will be long lasting and well-designed, and that use the latest in LED technology:
- ENERGY STAR® and DesignLights Consortium® (DLC) have developed sets of standards that help identify quality products. LED products must carry the ENERGY STAR label or be DesignLights Consortium-approved to be eligible for rebates in Vermont.
- Efficiency Vermont offers rebates for select LED equipment that can be used in almost any application.
LEDs for Exterior Lighting
LED fixtures can deliver exterior lighting more efficiently and uniformly, using less light compared to traditional exterior lighting. Significant energy savings are possible due to the more efficient LED light source and the need for less light. LED fixtures also produce less skyglow and are easily integrated with control options.
Learn more about Exterior Lighting
Apply Online for Rebates
Prefer the pdf rebate application? Download it here.