Building Performance Program
Helping small business and residential rental property owners improve buildings and boost their bottom lines.
When you have a drafty building, you aren't just losing heat, you're losing money. The Building Performance program assists small business and rental property owners with improving the insulation and comfort of buildings, while boosting bottom lines. Building Performance rebates will reduce the cost of audits and insulation upgrades: Efficiency Vermont offers up to $5,100 per building to help pay for energy efficiency improvements completed by a participating Building Performance Institute (BPI) certified contractor.
Call Efficiency Vermont toll-free at 888-921-5990 to find out if a building energy audit may be appropriate for your building.
Why do I need a BPI certified contractor?
Efficiency Vermont supports a network of contractors certified by the Building Performance Institute (BPI). These independent contractors are certified by the Building Performance Institute to perform energy audits, diagnose building problems such as moisture, mold, and ice dams, and install the recommended energy efficiency improvements. Efficiency Vermont provides contractor training, quality assurance, and customer incentives. Find a participating BPI certified contractor.
What can I expect from an energy audit?
An energy audit typically includes:
- A comprehensive evaluation of your building's air-tightness, insulation effectiveness, and windows.
- Installation of energy-saving products such as efficient light bulbs and water conservation products.
- An audit report and scope of work for recommended energy efficiency improvements.
- Identification of energy efficiency opportunities with mechanical systems, lighting, and appliances.
Note: Building Performance contractors will charge a fee for the energy audit.
What happens next?
If you choose to move forward, your contractor will complete the recommended improvements and assist you in accessing available rebates. Typical energy efficiency improvements include:
- Reducing drafts with comprehensive air sealing.
- Adding and improving insulation in the attic, walls, kneewalls, and basement.
- Upgrading heating systems.
- Improving indoor air quality through ventilation.
- Installing carbon monoxide detectors and other health and safety measures.
Building Performance rebates are for small business and rental property owners for energy efficiency projects completed by participating BPI certified contractors.
Generally, a building that was built as a house, but is now used for commercial or mixed use is eligible. Additionally, non-house type structures may be eligible. The following criteria must apply to all building types:
- Eligible Building Types
- Less than 10,000 sq. ft. conditioned space
- Wood framed
- Masonry walls
- Building Types not eligible for Building Performance incentives: Any building containing large process equipment (including large refrigeration,
ventilation, or other process) including:
- Municipal water / wastewater facilities
- Grocery stores
While not eligible for the Building Performance program, commercial technical assistance and incentives are available for improving the above buildings and the equipment and processes within. Contact us today to learn more.
Rental Property / Multifamily
- Eligible Buildings
- Five apartments or more
- Mixed use (Combination of a commercial use and any number of apartments)
- Three stories or less
- Less than 10,000 sq. ft.
- Wood framed
- Masonry walls
- Eligible Uses
- Residential multifamily apartments
- Bed and breakfasts
- Common spaces associated with multifamily buildings, including community rooms, central hallways and stairs, laundry rooms, mail rooms,
- Mixed use (combination of eligible commercial and residential uses)
Get Started Today
Follow these steps to have a successful Building Performance project and receive eligible rebates for your energy efficiency improvements.
- Find a Contractor
When you're ready to begin your energy efficiency improvements, the first step is to find a participating BPI contractor.
Contractors are certified by the Building Performance Institute to perform energy audits, diagnose building problems such as moisture, mold, and
ice dams, and install the recommended energy efficiency improvements.
- Review Your Work Scope and Learn About Incentives
Your BPI certified contractor will provide a work scope for recommended energy efficiency improvements and help you prioritize within your budget.
Your contractor will also share an estimate of the Efficiency Vermont rebates that may be available for your project, if it is completed as
- Complete the Work
If you choose to move forward, your contractor will complete the recommended improvements and conduct a final "test-out" of your building to
measure the air leakage reduction and ensure that ventilation and health and safety issues have been addressed.
- Receive Your Rebate
When the work is complete, your contractor will provide you with a final rebate form to submit to Efficiency Vermont. Efficiency Vermont will send
you an incentive check within 60 days.
- Enjoy the Benefits of Your Energy Efficiency Improvements