What is an energy audit?
Limited time offers from Efficiency Vermont
- Get a $100 discount on an energy audit.*
- Receive up to $2,000 upon completing qualifying energy efficiency improvements.
Audits must be completed by a participating Home Performance with ENERGY STAR contractor.
*Offer expires January 31, 2014. Cannot be combined with the NeighborWorks H.E.A.T. Squad program. H.E.A.T. Squad customers receive a $100 audit made possible in part by Efficiency Vermont.
Total incentive cannot exceed project cost.
An energy audit is a great first step to putting you on the path to saving money every month on your heating bills. It is an assessment of where your house is losing energy, specifically trouble spots that can be fixed to make your home more energy efficient.
The most common types of energy audits are;
- Free and low-cost audits that can be done online, by volunteer like a community organizer, or an energy auditor.
- A professional energy audit performed by a certified Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® contractor.
Not all energy audits are created equal
Free or low-cost audit tools
A free or low-cost option gives you a snapshot of your energy usage, which can tell you whether or not a professional energy audit is needed.
- Efficiency Vermont does not perform free in-home audits,
- Efficiency Vermont’s Home Energy Evaluation Worksheet- Fill out this form to identify inefficient electrical appliances and key areas of heat loss in your home.
- Home Energy Yardstick from ENERGY STAR®- Use ENERGY STAR’s Home Energy Yardstick to compare your home's energy use to similar homes across the country.
- Community walkthrough assessments-In Vermont we have a wonderful network of energy committees. The energy committee in your town may be able to schedule a free walk-through to assess your home’s energy use.
- Buyers beware of low price audits -There may be a lot of offers for low cost audits. Sadly, these energy assessments are often not comprehensive, nor do they pre-qualify your home energy project for incentives from Home Performance with ENERGY STAR.
A professional energy audit may seem pricey but it is worth it.
We recommend professional energy audits performed by a certified Home Performance with ENERGY STAR contractor. We know that these contractors are trained in an integrated whole-house approach that looks at your house as a system. The cost of this audit usually ranges from $200 to $500. Be sure to check with your contractor for current discounts or promotions that could reduce this cost.
- Professional energy audits include checking for air leaks, examining insulation, inspecting the furnace and ductwork, and performing a blower door test using an infrared camera.
- Home Performance with ENERGY STAR contractors provide trained, expert help in prioritizing energy efficiency improvements based on your budget and timeline.
- An energy audit from a certified Home Performance with ENERGY STAR contractor pre-qualifies your home energy project for incentives from Efficiency Vermont.
Take the first step to saving energy and money in your home with a professional energy audit by a Home Performance contractor.
Sign up for Home Performance with ENERGY STAR.
How to pay for energy efficiency improvements
When you have decided to make significant home energy improvements, financing options can make the investment possible and affordable.
Here are some financing resources for you to consider;
Do-it-Yourself with some help
Are you looking to improve the efficiency of your home and do the work yourself? Learn more about the Do-it-Yourself option where you will complete the work under the guidance of a Home Performance with ENERGY STAR contractor.
Home Performance with ENERGY STAR FAQs
Home Performance with ENERGY STAR FAQs
Connecting with our partners
- Our partner organizations may have special offers based on your location, your income level, or the type of fuel you use to heat your home. When that is the case, we will help connect you with them, to ensure you’re benefitting from all of the services that are right for you. Learn more about our partners.